The Medicine Your Wood Wants
How to Clean a Wood Cutting Board or Butcher Block Board with Lemon and Salt
CAUTION: Never place your cutting board, butcher block board, wood utensil or wooden bowl in the dishwasher. Do Not ever completely submerge or soak any of these wood items in your sink when washing your dishes. This will cause damage to your wood product.
NOTE: Follow the procedure outlined below in order to properly clean your wood products.
Items needed: Fresh lemons, coarse salt (such as sea salt)
- Sprinkle coarse ground salt over the surface of the cutting board as evenly as possible.
- Cut a fresh lemon in half. This usually works best.
- Directly over the sprinkled salt, rub the cut side of the lemon over the surface of the cutting board while gently squeezing the lemon in order to apply a generous amount of the lemon juice to the surface of the board. Allow the blend of the salt and lemon mixture to set on the board’s surface for at least 5 minutes.
- Now, use a scraping device such as a putty knife or even something like an outdated credit card edge, to scrape the surface of the board in order to remove any contaminated liquids or other debris from its surface. This can be done directly over the sink. Any debris or liquids can be rinsed down the drain as a drain freshener.
- Once the cutting board’s surface has been completely scraped, lightly rinse the cleaned surface. Do NOT submerge in water. Repeat the previous steps for each side of the board that may be contaminated with food residue.
- When all surfaces have been cleaned and rinsed, position the board, bowl, or other wood product on end so as to allow any residual water to drain completely.
When the cutting board has completely dried, proceed to“How to Oil and Preserve Your Cutting Board”
How to Oil and Preserve Your Cutting Board
Now that you have thoroughly cleaned your wooden cutting board, butcher block board, bowl or wooden utensil, you are ready to seal and preserve your wood products to keep them looking and feeling as nice as the day you brought them home.
Using a Food Grade Safe Mineral Oil, by hand, spread a generous amount evenly over each entire surface area of the wood. Multiple applications may be necessary if the wood soaks the oil up quickly.
Allow the oil to be absorbed. Depending on the type and age of the wood it may take a little while.
Once the oil has been completely absorbed by the wood, proceed to “How to Apply Wood Vigor”.
How to Apply Wood Vigor “It’s the Medicine your wood wants”!
Wood Vigor” is a product made by Wayne’s Wood Originals consisting of a blend of Food Grade Mineral Oil, Organic Bees Wax, Lemon Grass essential oil and Pure Orange essential Oil. This paste blend leaves the wood feeling soft and smooth and a fragrance of fresh citrus. When reapplied frequently, the brilliance of the grain of the wood will appear renewed. This product is safe to use on surfaces that come in contact with food.
Using a lint free blue paper towel, apply Wood Vigor evenly to the entire surface of the wood product. Just a very thin application is sufficient when applying after each use.